Student Scholarship & Recruitment Committee
On January 25, 2021, the Texas A&M University System Board of Regents (BoR) approved actions recommended by the Office of the President, including $24.75 million additional investment in serving our land grant mission in diversity, equity, and inclusion. Actions were informed by the report of the Commission on Diversity, Equity and Inclusion.
Interim president John L. Junkins announced activities and leaders charged with forming teams and beginning work on the approved actions immediately.
The Student Scholarships and Recruitment Committee aligns with BoR-approved actions 2 and 3 in the table below.
This team is charged with assisting Texas A&M University to significantly increase the number of underrepresented prospective students applying and enrolling each year through the enhancement of two targeted scholarship programs. This team will develop an implementation plan, including planned communication efforts, by March 26, 2021 with the intent to impact enrollments beginning in Fall 2021, if able, but no later than Fall 2022. Specifically, the team will develop a plan to:
Increase the number of Regents’ Scholars from 850 to 943 students per year by expanding eligibility to students with an adjusted gross income of $60,000 as indicated on the FAFSA/TASFA (previously $40,000).
Expand the National Scholars program to cohorts of 150 new students receiving $6000 per year ($24,000/4 years) from the College Board’s four national recognition categories including:
- African American National Recognition Program
- Hispanic National Recognition Program
- Indigenous National Recognition Program, and
- Rural and Small-Town Recognition Program
Develop a communication plan for informing prospective students of the availability of these scholarships.
- Joe Pettibon ’93, Vice President for Enrollment and Academic Services (Co-lead)
- Lisa Blazer, Associate Vice President for Enrollment Services (Co-lead)
- Kasandra Phillips ’92, Associate Director of Recruitment
- Tim Scott ’89, ‘96, Associate Provost, Faculty Rep
- Monica Menzel ’94, Hispanic Network, Former Student Rep & CDEI Rep
- Patrick Williams ’92 Texas A&M Foundation
- Delisa Falks, Assistant VP, Scholarships & Financial Aid
- Peter Luong ‘21, President of Regents Scholars Organization, Student Rep
Provide an outline to the Office of the President regarding planned activities, timeline, milestones, goals for impact, and budget by March 26, 2021.