Communications Outreach and Engagement Committee
On January 25, 2021, the Texas A&M University System Board of Regents (BoR) approved actions recommended by the Office of the President, including $24.75 million additional investment in serving our land grant mission in diversity, equity, and inclusion. Actions were informed by the report of the Commission on Diversity, Equity and Inclusion.
Interim president John L. Junkins announced activities and leaders charged with forming teams and beginning work on the approved actions immediately.
The Communications Outreach and Engagement Committee aligns with BoR-approved actions 1 and 8 in the table below.
In support of the overarching goal of increasing the number of students from underrepresented groups who attend and graduate from Texas A&M, this team is charged with:
- Developing a communications outreach plan to increase engagement of prospective students from underrepresented groups and their families and to create a sustainable pipeline for recruiting them.
- Creating an innovative platform for documenting and sharing the stories of successful current and former students of color with the goal of enhancing the ability of others to project themselves as successful Aggies.
In order to accomplish this task, the following questions will need to be addressed:
- How does TAMU identify prospective students from underrepresented groups?
- What are the current communications channels to underrepresented students and their families?
- What are prospective students’ preferred means of being contacted and learning about TAMU?
- How can TAMU facilitate an active pipeline of recent graduates and other former students of color whose stories can be shared?
- How best can investment approved by the Texas A&M University System Board of Regents be utilized for outreach to best fulfill the charge?
- How are human interest stories identified at present and how can outreach be enhanced to identify individuals?
- What are the current platforms for sharing stories about Aggies?
- Annie McGowan, Interim Vice President and Associate Vice Provost for Diversity, Gina and William Flores Endowed Professor in Business (Co-lead)
- Amy B. Smith, Senior Vice President, Chief Marketing and Communications Office (Co-lead)
- Eric Watson '99, Associate Director for Diversity Initiatives & Inclusion, Office of Admissions
- Lindsay Gasek '99, Director, Office of the Provost, Enrollment & Academic Services
- Shantera Chatman '98, former student, President PowHer Consulting
- Quentyn Seamster '96, former student, Principal at International Leadership of Texas – Dallas-Fort Worth Metroplex
- Akshaya Sreenivasan, Clinical Assistant Professor of Marketing, Mays Business School
- Crystal Carter, Communications Specialist, Office for Diversity
Provide an outline to the Office of the President regarding planned activities, timeline, milestones, goals for impact, and budget by March 26, 2021.