Campus News and Updates: February 15
Howdy from your President!
- We are expecting about 10,000 prospective Aggies and their families from across the state to join us this weekend for Aggieland Saturday, our annual campus-wide open house hosted by the Office of Admissions. More information can be found at http://admissions.tamu.edu/aggielandsaturday/.
- Our College of Veterinary Medicine & Biomedical Sciences will be the subject of one of the largest construction projects in our history with the addition of a $120 million classroom building and expansion of the small animal hospital, funded by the Permanent University Fund: http://tx.ag/2ehgfn.
- Congratulations to our co-ed service fraternity, Alpha Phi Omega, recently selected by the Scott & White Clinic as the 2011 Outstanding College Blood Drive. Nalleli Trejo, who helps coordinate the four blood drives the organization hosts on campus each year, says that each effort helps save more than 300 lives. To learn more about APO, go to http://apo.tamu.edu/.
- A couple of items related to Aggie Athletics: Blue Bell Park (grand opening on Friday), will be one of the best, if not the very best, baseball stadiums in the country. Also, more evidence that our brand historically has been undervalued: the collegiate licensing industry overall is up 9 percent, whereas Texas A&M licensing is up a whopping 24 percent.
- Friday is the deadline to purchase tickets for the Professional Development Dinner to be hosted by MSC Hospitality at 6:30 p.m. next Wednesday, February 22, at the University Club. The event will feature a five-course meal and four speakers. Tickets are $15 and available at the MSC Box Office. Business professional dress is required. For more information, email Alexander Quante at email@example.com.
- Congratulations to Jim Creel '69, of Fort Worth, named the 2012 Aggie Lawyer of the Year.
- Finally, thanks to all of you (more than 2,000) who are following me on Twitter. (I'm @aggieprez.)
Until next week, Gig 'em Aggies. In the meantime, you can always reach me at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Dr. R. Bowen Loftin '71