Search Advisory Committee Named for Provost and Executive Vice President for Academic Affairs
May 7, 2010
TO: The Texas A&M University community
FROM: President R. Bowen Loftin ’71
SUBJECT: Search Advisory Committee Named for Provost and Executive Vice President for Academic Affairs
I am pleased to announce that the search advisory committee for the position of Provost and Executive Vice President for Academic Affairs has been formed and a national search to fill this important position has been initiated.
This position – the number two leadership position at Texas A&M – is critically important as we continue our progress toward becoming one of the nation’s top public universities over the next decade.
The committee is co-chaired by Dr. Eleanor Green, Professor and Dean, College of Veterinary Medicine and Biomedical Sciences, and Dr. John Crompton, Distinguished Professor of Recreation, Park and Tourism Sciences.
Other members of the committee include the following:
- Dr. Mary Alfred, Associate Dean for Faculty Affairs, College of Education and Human Development
- Mr. Julian Avila Pacheco, Doctoral Student, Department of Biochemistry and Biophysics
- Dr. Karen Butler-Purry, Associate Vice President for Graduate Studies
- Mr. Ronald Carter, Assistant Department Head, Department of Chemistry
- Dr. Janice Epstein, Senior Lecturer, Department of Mathematics
- Mr. Chris Esparza, Chair, Academic Affairs Committee, Student Senate
- Dr. Kishore Gawande, Roy and Helen Ryu Chair of Economics and Government, Bush School of Government and Public Service
- Dr. Donna Lang, Associate Vice President for Enrollment Management and Educational Outreach, Texas A&M University at Galveston
- Mr. Pablo Marvin ’66, Outstanding International Alumnus (2006), Distinguished Alumnus (2009)
- Dr. John McDermott, Distinguished Professor of Philosophy and Humanities, Melbern G. Glasscock Endowed Chair in Humanities
- Dr. Mary Meagher, Professor, Department of Psychology
- Dr. Marisol Perez, Assistant Professor, Department of Psychology
- Dr. Michael Pishko, Professor and Head, Department of Chemical Engineering
- Dr. Courtney Schumacher, Associate Professor, Department of Atmospheric Sciences
- Dr. Robert Strawser, Arthur Andersen & Co. Chair in Accounting, 2010-11 Speaker of the Faculty Senate
- Dr. Thomas Woodfin, Associate Professor, Department of Landscape Architecture and Urban Planning
I have asked the advisory committee to conduct an extensive search to identify a short list of highly qualified individuals to be recommended for my consideration. Both internal and external candidates will be considered. The goal is to identify the best possible candidates for this key position. I truly appreciate the willingness of each of these individuals to serve on this important committee.